Friday, September 17, 2010

Yom Kippur....A day of Forgiveness


Today marks the beginning of Yom Kippur.....the day of atonement....the day of forgiveness. Although I am not Jewish, a celebration of forgiveness is quite special to me. Today I will travel to Terre Haute Indiana to celebrate the beginning of Yom Kippur. I will travel with my mother, Lincoln, and his friend Eli, and our destination is the C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Museum. Today will be the day that my friend, pictured above with his family, Mickey Kor will forgive the Nazis who tortured and held him hostage some 65 years ago in concentration camps. Mickey is a holocaust survivor, along with his wife Eva Mozes Kor. Today, Mickey will read a letter that he has written and sign forms of his forgiveness. He will be free. His heart will be healed. Hatred.....dissipated. Blame lifted. Today, I ask for your prayers for Mickey and his family. Prayers because of the hate left in the hearts of many. People, mostly holocaust survivors themselves will be angry at Mickey. They will be angry for him being able to forgive the Nazis for the crimes they committed against the Jews and the whole world for that matter. Today, as the Jewish communities around the world celebrate their day of forgiveness...their day of atonement won't you please take a moment and glorify the concept of forgiveness. Tikkun Olam....repair the world. Blessings.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this message, I am sure that it will be a powerful and emotionaltrip.

Unknown said...

Want to hear all about the Terre Haute trip. Coupled with that sweet girl's testimony that we heard at Roofcrashers today, you are having a "powerful" day...One that you won't forget soon...

Kateyed said...

What an unbelievable thing to do! To forgive frees us all. I have always thought the practicing of Yom Kippur by my Jewish friends was the most profound of holy holidays. To have a time marked out and set aside in our life to truly think of where we need forgiveness is very powerful (thanks Steff...at a loss for words).

We forgive, as we have been forgiven.

Jud spent some time at the Jewish cemetery in Prague today. Very emotional time for him.

Hope, I hope this experience touches you at a very deep level of your heart. I imagine it will.

Hugs,
Suz

Maya Papaya said...

thanks for sharing. Forgiveness makes the world go around!