Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Home Made Egg Noodles.....Heavenly


I have been on this comfort food kick lately. I can't even begin to tell you. When you dream of mashed potatoes is there something wrong with you? The great thing is....I joined Weight Watchers the end of September and I can eat this kind of food and still loose weight. It's a little tricky when you are making a conglomerate of food like say....home made egg noodles....but Weight Watchers is a tool about teaching you to use portion control & about making healthy food choices. I must say, I have consistently lost weight each week, through each major holiday (I do have that monthly gain that I can't seem to shake) and have not eaten 'diet food'. I eat a wide array of foods from all the food groups and that has been such a huge positive in my life. Let me mention these gorgeous eggs in the photo.....these are from my new hens. I have a brown egg in the picture to give you a contrast.....but the eggs are blue. Aren't they gorgeous, and I used them to make my famous home made egg noodles.


Here they are all rolled out. They are just so easy to make I really can't even tell you. Seriously, almost as easy as driving to the store and buying a package and boiling. Plus, you get that added bonus of making something totally from scratch.....and don't forget....there is a workout involved. It is hard work rolling out the dough. Also, I used half whole wheat flour & half white flour. Next time I am going to use all whole wheat flour. This was the first time that I have used whole wheat flour because I was scared they wouldn't be light enough....let me just tell you the texture of these noodle was terrific....the best ever in my opinion. See my cool noodle cutter??? I got it in my brother-in-laws trash!!! You will hear about him later in this post. Can you believe he got rid of this cool tool? I haven't completely mastered it because I like my noodles thin....but I make a first pass....then I cut them again....and I can't do it straight....twice!!! I am getting there. I must add....I am not buying a pasta machine. That would take all the JOY of noodle making away from me.


Here are my UN-EVEN-LY cut noodles. But I think they are quite charming. They are heavenly I can surely attest to that. Here is the great thing. I made them into chicken-n-noodles for pennies on the dollar. I can't tell you how much celery, onions, & carrots I put in & my son Lincoln says 'Mom....you could even add more next time!!!' More veggies from a 15 year old???? Wow. My husband Jeff said....'can you make some peas with this tomorrow?' What planet did he fall from? They are asking me for vegetables??? I served mine with a big can of salt free green beans & my daughter said 'oh that's a good idea!!!' So....we sure did get a lot of healthy mileage out of this batch of chicken-n-noodles. I saw a little road side sign the other day that read 'Noodles for sale'....one thing for sure....that sign will not be posted in my front yard when I am a little old lady.....if so I might be buying that pasta machine.


Remember I mentioned I would be talking about my brother-in-law? Well Andy is the greatest. I have known him most of my life. He is my best friends brother & he married my sister.....go figure. He is a chef & we are competitive. Each year for the past 3 years at Thanksgiving, we have been having noodle competition. My noodles vary with the changing of flavors of stocks....his noodles vary with I don't know what. I get my votes by consistency....he gets his votes by well ummmm his daughters. No one ever really wins.....we use the same noodle recipe. This year I used duck eggs from my flock....he said I was cheating because he didn't have any female ducks. We even have the same pan....because I had to have the same noodle pan. It's not even a 'noodle' pan....but all the kids call it the 'noodle' pan. It's those little traditions that keep families going. I hope you have enjoyed my home made noodles enough to want to roll out a few of your own. They really are easy...and you will feel so accomplished. Here's the recipe. Give it a try. Blessings.
Egg Noodles

1 1/2 Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 White Flour
1 1/2 baking powder
3 T. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
5 T. milk

Mix Flours, baking powder, butter, & salt in Cuisinart fitted with a blade until combined. Add eggs one at a time until mixed into a dough. Add in milk until combined. Take out dough ball and wrap in saran wrap. Let rest on counter for 30 minutes. Take out 1 cup sections and roll into rectangles 1/8" thick on floured counter. Cut into 1/4 " strips or those of desired width. Lay between waxed paper lined sections on baking sheet & sprinkle with flour. Can make night before or morning before. Rest in refrigerator or on counter. Boil in hot boiling broth 4-10 minutes until desired tenderness.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

WOW!!! Hope, I am drooling!

Heather Ales said...

Oh Hope!! Will you share your chicken 'n noodles recipe? I have the noodle part from this post, but that pan has me drooling! (P.S. a really good friend had a pan JUST like that and she moved before I could get one of my own. Who makes them? I can't remember? I just remember that they were HEAVY and HUGE!)

dr dre headphones said...

Microsoft Office 2010 offers a flexible and powerful new ways to deliver you the best results of the work (in the office, at home or school). With Microsoft Office 2010 Key, regardless of how you work and where you work, all done in your control, you can get the job done and produce stunning results.

blog said...

Microsoft outlook 2010 is Microsoft's flagship messaging and collaboration client products. It is integrated into Microsoft Office and ExchangeServer standalone application.The functionality of Microsoft outlook 2010 download, you can use it to send and receive email, manage your contacts, diary, scheduling, allocation of tasks.

lin741852 said...

chaussures nike shox nz i femmes
chaussures nike shox nz i hommes
chaussures nike shox nz ii femmes
chaussures nike shox nz ii hommes
chaussures nike shox oz femmes
chaussures nike shox oz hommes
chaussures nike shox r2 femmes
chaussures nike shox r2 hommes
chaussures nike shox r3 femmes
chaussures nike shox r3 hommes
chaussures nike shox r4 ii femmes
chaussures nike shox r4 ii hommes
chaussures nike shox r4 v femmes
chaussures nike shox r4 v hommes